Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAlan A
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010

Hi Bryan,

Well, I was thinking I could get our headers to load faster if they were in wp content/uploads rather than wp content/themes/magathemepro/img folder. If you recall, we are not using the Magatheme Options to input the header location, but instead you somehow hard coded the header locations. I see the header images in the "magathemepro/img" folder but cannot find where in the WP theme editor you pointed to this location.

How's about a hand ole pal o mine? Wouldn't it even be great to be able to use the wonderful Magatheme Options Panel to play with the headers if need be :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBryan
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010

The problem was one that involved placing it in a spot that wasn't 100% standard. One thing you could do is CTRL-F the URL filename through the files to find the spot it is actually located it to replace it. If you want to hack the ability to change headers on the fly via the options page, let me know!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAlan A
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2010 edited

Hi,

"If you want to hack the ability to change headers on the fly via the options page, let me know! "

If you mean do I want to change the not "100% standard" location...that would be nice just in case we ever want to change the headers. Also, not sure exactly what you mean by "CTRL-F the URL filename through the files". I know what control-F does but where to do this? I already did it in every area via the Theme Editor.

:-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBryan
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2010

Chances are its in the header.php file.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAlan A
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2010

Nope
    •  
      CommentAuthorAlan A
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2010

Did you ever figure this out?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBryan

Please refer to your CSS file for this line: .header {background:#fff url(../img/header2.jpg) no-repeat top left;}
    •  
      CommentAuthorAlan A

Finally! I found it!

It is in the "colors" folder under the custom named css you made for us.

So, now that I know where it is, what do I do to have the header load from the "wp content/uploads folder" instead of the "wp content/themes/magathemepro/img folder"?

You said above, "If you want to hack the ability to change headers on the fly via the options page, let me know! " Well, if you mean making it so we can change the header via the option page as is the default, then yes...that would seem to be a good idea :-)

I noticed that the copy of your theme that I have on my pc, has within the theme folder a couple of zips with seemingly duplicate files. This confused me so I thought I would email you the theme & ask you why this is. I believe I ftp'ed this copy of the theme from the server a while back. Anyway, if you have a chance...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBryan

Have you tried adding a new image URL in the option page already?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAlan A
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010

This would override you hard code? I thought I tried that once & it didn't work, which is why I am here . HOWEVER... with hat in hand...I quickly just ticked the box on the options page on my site, which has the default "example.com/wp-content/uploads/etc" location & after ticking the box, the header did change :-o

So, as I hope that patience is one of your stronger attributes, give me a day & I will try to change the image on Erica's site using the Options page....unless you tell me that this will not override the present header settings or cause some sort of problem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAlan A
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010

Okay...so...uhm...ALRIGHT SO I A SCREWED UP!

I was able to simply move the header image to the uploads folder & change the header location via the Magatheme Options & tick the appropriate box. Go ahead...call me names if you like.

I would like to know though, what happens to the hard code in the custom CSS folder? Does it change with the Magatheme Option settings or do those settings simply override the CSS code?

Is there any reason that I should remove the old header location from the CSS?

Thanks Bryan & I am sorry for the extra work. Also sorry for emailing you such a large theme file yesterday. I guess I downloaded the theme from my server so as to have a fresh copy but I am guessing that it is so large because of all of the pics that came with it from the uploads folder. Not sure of the best way to get a complete theme from my server without the unnecessary files ??

I'm still hoping you can tell me why there are zipped folders within the theme folder though :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBryan
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2010

Those extra zips were backups of misc files, as I recall. Naturally, if all is working well and we're not changing anything, you can delete those.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAlan A
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2010

What about...

"I would like to know though, what happens to the hard code in the custom CSS folder? Does it change with the Magatheme Option settings or do those settings simply override the CSS code?

Is there any reason that I should remove the old header location from the CSS?"

As far as the zips, they seem to contain all of the same folders as the folder that they (the zips) are in. I am a scared to delete them within knowing for sure what they are ;-o And how the hell do I get myself a fresh copy of the theme from the server without bringing in all of the images, cache, etc?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBryan

Yes, the most recent CSS overwrites the old CSS. You'll notice by checking the page source that there is a small CSS tag in the header of each page that overrides it. No reason to remove the old CSS header code.

The zips are backups. The theme does not utilize any zips. You may delete them safely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAlan A

Thank you Bryan!!

You ready to go back on the payroll ;-)

Let's Go Yankees! It's that time of year again!