Not signed in (Sign In)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAlan A
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010 edited

Hi,

Got another one for ya! It has been brought to my attention that Google is indexing the wp-content/uploads folders on Erica's site & that this is not a good idea for multiple reasons. Is this a theme issue or a WP issue? It is not happening on my site.

Either way, I need a fix bad! ;-) It was also suggested that I disallow this via a robots.txt file. Does that sound right & if so, where in the theme would I do this exactly?

Sorry if this is not a theme issue. I thought I would bother you first because I like you :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBryan
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2010

It would be wise to hide that from Google via robots.txt (though it isn't a huge deal, anyone with knowledge of Wordpress can find it). Visit here to read more about it: http://www.askapache.com/seo/wordpress-robotstxt-seo.html

A better idea might be to add this to your htaccess: "Options -Indexes". This will return a 403 error for anyone who tries to view the indexes in /wp-content/ and /wp-content/uploads/
    •  
      CommentAuthorAlan A
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2010

You're the best!

Interesting idea. I never heard of it. Would adding "Options -Indexes" also prevent Google from indexing or would it cause a problem w/ Google as do 404's?

Just to be clear about this "Options -Indexes" thing...do I use quotes & a space after Indexes as you indicated?

I wonder why this is happening on Erica's site & not mine. Perhaps because Google actually indexes her site ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBryan
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2010 edited

Let's clarify this: 404's are not problems in Google's eyes. It is only a problem if you have a link to a 404 because you are wasting that link juice. I guarantee you Google finds several hundred 404's for your site everyday, they just ignore them (like they should). Likewise with 403 errors.

No, no quotes on that, it's just: Options -Indexes